Monday, June 25, 2007

New Job Requirements

Thank goodness for www.google.com at 4 am when you are a new parent! We had a pretty good idea that Addison was constipated because she'd scream while she looked like she was trying to go to the bathroom. The problem was...we'd never dealt with infant constipation before and had no tricks up our sleeves. She fell asleep just as I found some suggestions on what to try, so we awaited the next time Addison woke up with a bit of anxiety. I never knew how bad it would feel to see your child in pain, and unable to relieve it instanteously.

Round 2 occurred at 7 am - and we were ready! I had read on the Dr. Sears website to put your child in a warm bath and massage their stomach in a clockwise motion. So as Addison screamed and made her attempts, I massage and we made some progress (I'll save you the exact details!) Then we gave her a fresh batch of water and she sat back and enjoyed being wet.

Round 3 came about an hour later - more screaming - more massaging - and finally I believe she is no longer constipated.

For those of you who are reading this and are new parents as well - here are some tips:
1.) Breastfed babies don't get constipated (until they get some solid food).
2.) Formula fed babies (ours are now as of last week) can quite easily get constipated. Our doctor's office and friends with children recommend giving them diluted apple or apple/prune juice 1-2 times a day to prevent it. (1 part juice - 3 parts water for a total of 1-2 oz.)

So as the title says, "new job requirements", I didn't know motherhood included the role of "poop assistant", but I'm beginning to realize that I'll do just about anything for my girls...I'm just a little frightened to know the remaining job requirements that I have yet to be aware of! One I can guess may arise once they gain control of their hands - "extractor of items from noses and ears!"

Love to all - thanks to those of you who let us know you're reading - good to hear from you!

1 comment:

The D's said...

I know exactly how you feel, we went through the same thing and felt absolutely helpless. It's scary to think about all the future helpless moments we'll have! Luckily there are all of those other great moments to help make things better!