Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"No Pee Pee in the Panties"


Addie reminds me quite often these days, "No pee pee in the panties!" That's right Addie, we don't go pee pee in panties, in the sandbox, on the bath mat, on the kitchen bench, on the floor in general, etc...although most of these have happened since we are still learning! My biggest fear is pee pee on mama's bed...that has not happened and hopefully will not...

The potty training started pre-Stella even though I was fighting it knowing we'd most likely regress with the upheveal of a newborn in the house. Addie finally convinced me to start when at a bathtime one night a few months ago (no potty training had occurred yet - but we had set a potty chair in the bathroom). She was in the bath, go out, sat on the potty, pooped, took out the tray, dumped the contents in the toilet, flushed the toilet, put the tray back, and climbed back in the bath...all without a word to me...was just sitting on the bathroom counter speechless.

So at that point, I was like - fine, we'll try the potty training thing, but we are still wearing diapers! It was fine - not perfect but the girls did most of their major business on the potty. But as expected, it completely stopped when Stella arrived and the girls lost interest.

However, lately Addie has been asking every few days if she can wear underwear. I already have it, but have never shown the girls because I knew if Addie saw it she'd have to wear it - regardless if she was ready or not! I wasn't too excited about being on potty patrol while nursing a baby, etc. But she kept asking...so I decided to be funny/experimental when Daddy would be in charge!

Alex agreed to watch all three girls while I got some alone time last Saturday morning for a few hours. I was terrified to do the switch to panties on my own, so I figured Alex could share some of the joy of toilet training. We got out the undies - the girls were SO EXCITED - and we've been wearing them ever since. We still do diapers for naps, bedtime, and trips away from home (another fear is a potty accident in the carseat...yuck!). The underwear may just have been the secret weapon because they love picking out which pair to wear and always want to go to the potty after sleeping or getting home so they can switch out their diaper for panties. So we are officially in the big wide world of potty training and hoping we're not here for too long... : )

No comments: