Friday, January 02, 2009

Scary Baby Part 3

I had a routine OB appointment today and Alex was able to go since my Dad could watch the girls. I wanted him to be able to hear the heartbeat since he hadn't heard it yet. My doctor comes in, gels up my stomach, and hears nothing.....we wait....still no heartbeat.... My doctor looks concerned and goes to see if the ultrasound tech is available. She comes back and starts telling us about our options if this is a miscarriage. We are in disbelief - thought at 14 weeks we'd be clear of miscarriage concerns. Finally the US tech is free. We go in - and there's a heartbeat! Yeah! Apparently the placenta is anterior which means it is between the baby and my belly which makes it hard to hear the baby's heartbeat until it gets bigger. Whew...yet again!

Scary Part #1 - little spotting at 8 weeks - ultrasound confirms all is well
Scary Part #2 - significant spotting at 12 weeks - hear baby's heartbeat with the doppler
Scary Part #3 - can't hear heartbeat at 14 weeks (today) - ultrasound confirms all is well

The good part is we got a hint at what the baby's gender may be...but we're not telling! : ) That is until we know for sure on the 21st of this month.

2 comments:

elisa said...

Whew girl...you scared me! Glad everything is going well!

The D's said...

My goodness you guys have been through the ringer as they say. I'm so glad that everything is ok and I am keeping you all in my prayers!