Sunday, April 27, 2008

My "Stock"

Can you remember the moment when you realized some things just weren't in your genetic code - that by looking at where you came from (i.e. parent, relatives) you just knew either you weren't going to be tall/short, blonde/red-headed, an athlete, musician, etc. I think this realization is a mixed blessing. You now (hopefully) have an easier time accepting yourself - like for example, I have the "Baker butt." I know by looking at my father's side of the family - that I am not going to have Kate Moss' hips or hinnie - and I've come to terms with that! Occasionally I have setbacks, and let myself pretend maybe six pack abs are in my future...but I have yet to see them on any of my next of kin...so probably not.

Anyways, I digress from the real reason I'm writing this. I had a moment this weekend that made me so proud and grateful for the "stock" from which I come! It was when I was standing with my father in my friend's yard watching him answer all her questions about gardening. He patiently listened, gave great advice, and was engaged and interested in my friend's plans for her backyard. When we left, nearly two hours later, I was just so proud he was my dad - and that I got to show him off! (Then he came over and helped me with my landscaping for several more hours!) My dad isn't the only one I like to tote around for show and tell. My mom is speaking to my Moms of Multiples club on marriage next month, regularly gives my friends advice, and enjoys really knowing the people in my life. My parents have so many great gifts and abilities and they are both such eager teachers - I love that!

I may not look like Kate Moss, but I couldn't be more proud of the "stock" from which I come...butt and all!

(My parents' Christmas picture with the girls)


1 comment:

Penny said...

What a loving tribute to your parents! I know the pride is mutual. God bless, Penny