Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Avent Bottles Recalled Kinda

Here's a post from my friend Angie's blog with a great tip if you bought those Avent bottle like she and I both did! I took mine back to Toys R' Us yesterday and got nearly $100 store credit for my 30+ bottles. The bottles are not "recalled" but they called it "parent's choice" - basically if you are uncomfortable with possible BPA in Avent's bottles you can get your money back. They don't even ask you if your bottles are from T 'R Us - most of mine were gifts so I didn't know.

Click here for the link to my post when I first heard about BPA.


"After a post made by one of my friends about this "mysterious" chemical, one might say I have become a bit obsessive about the swirling BPA information. I have read http://safemama.com/ & other websites, watched news stories on youtube and made my own conclusions that I would rather not risk whatever side affects BPA Avent might have and simply switch the types of bottles that I use for Reese. I also pretty much wanted to puke that I had 4 unopened boxes of Bottles, along with the 5 bottles I was already using.

I was resourceful enough to pull up my registry at Babies R Us and return the 2 boxes that were "purchased" on my registry to their store. But I sadly took all of the other bottles out of the cupboard and just put them in a bag in the pantry (why I don't know I just couldn't bring myself to throwing those away). I made the switch to Playtex Drop-ins and begged my big sis to send me her "supply" of bottles so I wouldn't have to buy another $20 worth of bottles.

Today my pack-rat tendencies have paid off! Browsing websites that I visit on a nearly daily basis I checked out http://babycheapskate.blogspot.com/ and saw the post about "rumors that Babies R Us is taking back opened & unopened BPA bottles" I nearly jumped out of my seat and read several comments about the fact that some stores are taking them back and some stores aren't. First I called the St. Louis Babies R Us to see if they were indeed taking them back - YES. Then I decided to be brave and call my pathetic excuse for a "babies r us corner" at our Toys R Us here in Springfield. YES YES YES They are taking them back!!"

2 comments:

Emilyah said...

I'm so glad that you heard about this because I hadn't got a chance to tell you yet. We returned all of our bottles on Monday and got a nice credit. A lot of BRU stores are actually NOT accepting returns though so it looks like we both got lucky!

Sarah Jean said...

Love the website safe mama! I've been using it for awhile, which lead me to this website:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/splash.php?URI=%2Findex.php

You're able to look up most cosmetics...it's a bit scary! We continue to gradually switch to different products.