Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Battle of the Sippy Cup


Ever since I realized our baby bottles are potentially hazardous I've been working on getting the girls to take a sippy cup. Previous to this, I'd give them one to play with "practice with" but never expected them to drink out of it. Now I want them to DRINK so I can throw away the toxic bottles! Yeah - did I mention they aren't so interested!

What didn't work:

1.) Cold turkey - they didn't drink an ounce until we finally gave up at the end of the day and gave them milk in a bottle (they each then took 20+ ounces)!

2.) Sippy cups with something other than milk at snack time - worked somewhat but apparently anything but milk and water gives the girls diarrhea - YUCK!

3.) Drinking out of the sippy cup myself, exclaiming, "Oh, so yummy...bet you wish you could have some...???" Got lots of laughs, but not much drinking.

What is working:
1.) Now I put milk in the sippy cups, and "accidentally" leave them within reach (on a bench, low table, etc.) but I don't hand them to the girls. They think they are getting away with something by grabbing them off the table. What I'm not so excited about is the dripping of milk everywhere in my house. I tried the, "you will only drink this in your highchair approach" for weeks - and all I got was full sippy cups thrown from high up in revolt! Perhaps once they have given up the bottles for good, I can try the drinking in highchairs only approach.

Note the look on Addie's face in the last picture - she thinks she has been SO SNEAKY for having the sippy cup...especially since she has her sister's cup as well!

1 comment:

Sarah Jean said...

Some of my girlfriends have found the cups with straws work better for their little ones. The straw cups are also suppose to be better on the teeth, since sippy cups can promote tooth decay.