Thursday, January 24, 2008

All By Myself....Don't Wanna Be...All By...

If you were here in person (or if we had a video camera) I'd give you a stirring rendition of this song! : ) Alex will tell you to be grateful you don't have to be subjected to this noise pollution! I was actually told in 8th grade choir to just hold my music sheet and mouth the words...hum...I can't imagine why!?

You may have guessed it from the title, Alex has been in New York since Monday. I tend to get in a huff when new trips are announced, but it really hasn't been that bad this time.

Here are what I see as the BENEFITS of Alex being in NY:
1. I get our one car all to myself!
2. We are racking up frequent flyer miles on his work credit card
3. We are saving money because Alex eats like a horse - okay not really - but it was fun to type!
4. I'm learning to be more grown up and to just DEAL with life's circumstances
5. I can set the thermostat wherever I want (shh don't tell Alex)
6. I can eat whatever I want (Alex insists on real meals - I like to eat just cereal while he's away in protest!)
7. I can spend endless hours on craft projects and not feel like I'm being neglectful!

He comes home today and it we are all looking forward to seeing him!

One other random thought!

For some reason I was thinking about college days and jobs I had and I remembered this hilarious memory that many of you may not of ever heard about.

I worked briefly for a gym (opened, worked the front desk, laundered towels, closed, etc.) It was always a little creepy to close up because it was dark and late! I would do my checklist as quick as possible and then get the heck out of there locking up and leaving!!! After closing one night, I got a late call from the unhappy owner of the gym. Apparently in my haste, I did not do a sweep of the men's locker room and there was a teenage boy in the sauna in the men's locker room. Not only did I lock him in....I turned off all of the lights on him as well!!!! The front door (and all other exits) only opened with a key (not very fire safe) so the poor kid had to find the phone and call the police who then arrived and broke the glass front door to get him out..... Amazingly I did not get fired - I would have fired me - but the owner was a very nice guy...I don't think I was ever scheduled to close after that.... : )

Random memory I know, but remembering it made me laugh - hope it made you laugh too!

1 comment:

The D's said...

Miriam! I love your blog but I have to tell you...I need you to update it because everytime I look I get that song in my head and it never goes away! Last night when I was trying to go to sleep it slipped in my head somewhere and would not go away!!! Anyways, looking forward to seeing you guys next month!