Sunday, February 17, 2008

Traveling with Twins

We returned today from Orlando, FL. Alex was working the International Builder's show - selling their rainwater systems. The girls and I came along and stayed with our friends, Leah and Scott. The trip started out good, got better, and then got ALOT worse! Read on for all the details...


The girls were fairly content on our two flights - Springfield to Atlanta - Atlanta to Orlando. We even fed them baby food on the plan without too much of a mess! We discovered that we could not sit next to each other on any flight (unless we were across the aisle from each other). There is only one extra oxygen mask per row - so two infants on laps means someone would be without a mask...bit of a bummer for us since this means we had to sit next to strangers. The girls were constantly grabbing stranger's magazines, hair, hands, clothes, drinks, etc. since they were within inches of grabbing whatever they wanted!

Here are some pictures of our hosts. It turns out Scott is WAY more baby experienced than Leah - he even worked in a daycare with 1 year olds for a year. Leah had to go to diaper attachment 101 - but learned quickly and proceeded without fear even through the nasty diapers!


We had to improvise somewhat with our toy selection since we only had what we could pack in our luggage. Two big hits were the contents of my makeup bag and Leah's kitchen utensils jar. The pict with Addie pouting is my makeshift baby gate - I got tired of constantly prying her hands off the TV buttons and DVD cords. It also turns out that blue painters tape works well as temporary outlet covers.

We tried park swings once before and the girls were terrified. I thought I'd try again one day while I was on a walk with the girls. They LOVED it! Jasmine didn't like to go too high, but they were both laughing and looking at each other!

Another mom from my moms of multiples group mentioned that she'd put her twins back to back when they were too little to fill up the infant swings themselves. This was also a big hit with my girls. Lovin Jazzie's outfit? : ) I ran out of matching warm weather clothes so we just went with what we had!

We enjoyed the warm weather and had lunch outside with the girls. They were angels and drew lots of attention for their good behavior. I think the Cheerios in their cup holders had something to do with their new level of contentment!

And then the rest of the story! Alex and I got up at 3:30 this morning to finish last minute packing, eat something, & load the girls. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6 a.m. We filled up our rental car, returned it, and got in line to check our bags. This is when we discovered that we would not be allowed to board our flight. With Delta, you have to check your bags 45 minutes prior to your departure time...

So we got booked on the 7 a.m. flight for a $50 fee - bummer! We then went to wait in the monster security check line for 30+ minutes. It is a nightmare to go through the security check with two babies, a diaper bag, a laptop, two carry-on suitcases, & two carseats. Everything has to be taken apart and ran through the x-ray. Even the girls' little leather shoes had to be removed and scanned!!!

We finally get on our flight to Atlanta and it goes well. I had Addie (our more hyper child) on the way to FL so I'm thinking I've got it made since I get Jazzie on the way home... I look back at Alex (sitting behind me) and Addie is fast asleep %$#*... at this point I have a little jealousy problem...Jazz is kicking me, pulling my hair, bothering our neighbors, whining, etc. I tell myself - she'll sleep the next flight...surely!

We get off the first flight and our gate check items don't appear! We have our two carseats strapped to two carry-ons with a special strap we bought on Amazon. Apparently, TSA decided it wasn't safe for us to have our suitcases so they took them! We freak out a bit because we need them to carry the carseats and carry the girls - plus they don't have tags! We soon realize it a lost cause and have them take the carseats as well since we can't carry two babies and two carseats through the airport without our special straps & carry-on suitcases. I'm sure I could have been more patient...but I'd been up since 3:30 a.m!

We get on the second flight (to Springfield) and we are feeling pretty good. We are both sitting next to empty seats so the girls have room to squirm and squirm they do. We are delayed a 1/2 hour since our plane's tire had a nail in it. This makes a 1.5 hr. flight more like 2 hrs.

I peek back at Addie and Alex and she is looking sleepy AGAIN and Jasmine is BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS! I am now uber jealous! And then - Addie VOMITS! Not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES! And we have tiny wipes and no burp clothes for Alex to clean it up. Alex is horrified and I'm am grateful that I am holding Jasmine! : ) I asked Alex if he thought anyone noticed...he said the people behind him started making gagging noises at the odor - now that makes you feel like a star! My parents pointed out that several people will go home to their families tonight and tell stories of these people and their twins on their flight! : )

When we think about it now, we laugh, especially about the vomiting! It did however make us realize that we are going to have to think long and hard and be INSANE to get on an 18 hr. flight to Africa anytime soon!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So this is blogging? I think I can handle it! Looks like you guys had a great time with Scott and Leah. Pretty soon they'll be popping out wee ones and the cycle will be complete. Ok, time for bed. Great talking with you the other day. Give my love to the fam.

Micah

Kristine said...

Oh my GOSH!! You guys are awesome. Great job managing the travel! I admit I was laughing over the Addie-vomit part of the story...We took Rachael on her first plane trip in October and I remember how stressful it was! Good job. :)

The D's said...

It's good to see you guys back safe and sound! I love the blog entry, I've read it twice now just to get a little chuckle! I am a bit jealous of the girls' short sleeve shirts and sunny smiles though! Talk with you soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow - nightmare! I can give you some feedback about long flights to Africa now that we've done it...firstly, try a total of about 31 hours travel time - not 18! (From arriving at JHB airport to getting home). And kids strapped in their car seats in their own seat is a MUST - Gabs was passed between our laps for the duration and it was a difficult trip - although I must say she was an Angel considering the circumstances! We are however back in 1 piece and would love to see you guys soon.
Gareth, Chantal & Gabby